+1

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of VER
Z038
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2023 8:14 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: z/OSMF

  ⚠ EXTERNAL MESSAGE – Think Before You Click

Why so much hate for z/OSMF? We sound like a bunch of grumpy old boomers
resistant to change. 🙂

I always found ServerPac clunky and unnecessarily complicated. Longing for that
is not a hill I would choose to die on. 🙂

I have been supporting a 4 LPAR organisation since 2018 using z/OSMF Software
Management and I think it's OK. It has its quirks but so does anything. It
suits how I like to work.

I like having an automated inventory of what I deployed where and when. I also
like being able to model a new deployment on an old one so the bulk of
definitions do not need to happen from scratch. I also like how the integrated
workflow for a new software level forces you to eyeball and action anything
that is needed for the upgrade.

Using z/OSMF Software Management does not mean you have to turn your brain off.
You can still augment or change how things happen if you need to. Jobs are
generated that you can look at before submission. Job output is captured so you
can look at it after it executes.

In my 4 LPAR environment, when building a new SYSRES, I only use z/OSMF to
construct the first system. After that I choose to ADRDSSU full dump restore it
the other 3 LPARs because I think redoing the z/OSMF work is simply too tedious
to be worth doing over and over. But that is OK. I am sure IBM will get there
eventually fixing things that need fixing. That has been happening consistently
throughout the life of z/OSMF from the early days where simply starting it
would completely paralyse your system.

Neil.