This was also posted to the Linux/390 list and the VM list, but seemed relevant for here too.

Over the past several days, I "cut a release" (that's GitHub speak) of the xmitmsgX package. The package mimics the behavior of the CMS 'XMITMSG' command. This is release 2.1.3 of the project. The facility on CMS is what provides uniform messages (e.g., error messages, but more than just for errors). I was actually shocked to learn (several years ago) that MVS doesn't have the same thing. (Though BPXMTEXT is a rough approximation of a partial subset.) Several have commented that they find it handy to have this function on POSIX and Unix-like systems, so here it is.

The wizard from Oz had turned the crank several weeks ago on USS and provided feedback. (We thank ye.) I have rolled that in but have not yet been able to re-test (since I do not have access to USS myself).

Those who know and love Rexx should take note that this release includes support for Regina. Similar support for ooRexx will come later if I can either get some help or wrap my limited gray matter around the ooRexx interface. (Kinda complicated for me.)

The project is here ...

https://github.com/trothr/xmitmsgx/

The "release" is here ...

https://github.com/trothr/xmitmsgx/releases/tag/2.1.3/

The "home" source repository is here ...

http://www.casita.net/pub/xmitmsgx/

The "open the repository" search has been improved: It now scans/usr/share/locale even if the compiled-in prefix is other than "/usr". It also scans/usr/lib/nls/msg and a couple others. One effect of this change is that 'xmitmsg' should work more consistently in mixed environments (that is, messages possibly in different places) without needing a re-compile. Same goes for apps linked against the library. I found that FreeBSD seems to prefer a default locale of "C" rather than (e.g.) "en_US" or similar, so the scanner looks for that too just in case.

-- R; <><