Let me do my best here.

Yes, you can generate a CSR, typically including multiple SANs, with OpenSSL
(any platform), gskkyman, or even on a CA Web site (or in the case of an
in-house CA, using their certificate management tools).

Yes, you should be able to import that certificate when signed and its private
key into RACF. Check out RACDCERT IMPORT. There is a risk in having the private
key floating around in e-mails or whatever. It is supposed to be private after
all.

I don't know health checker at all but I would ber very surprised if it
"discriminated against" certificates imported from elsewhere. It supports CA
certificates, right? They are pretty much always imported.

>And I simply don't see why RACF could not be made to generate more than
>one SAN.   Will that change with z/OS 3.1?

The people who actually know about such things seem to indicate that IBM is
quite content with the current state of affairs. Could it change? Yes. Will it?
I doubt it. I believe IBM markets "extra cost" tools that support this
functionality.

Charles