I tried to find an ftp path to a digicert location because I have pretty free
access for internet connections that the mainframe initiates.

The barrier for me is that if any windows or browser device is used. The
security policies prevent me from handling the potentially 'toxic' material.
I have even had the problem before with email attachments mailed to me.

From where I am sitting every source provided by DigiCert is browser based.
Nothing FTP so far.  I have not tried Digicert support because the signs are
there that they only support customers who pay them for support.