Thanks to all so far.   Still on my journey.

I have confirmed that my Firewall staff has not blocked me.  (ports 80 and 443
found at IBM)
I have confirmed that my DNS world can find the new host names.   And even
confirmed that the old names are working DNS aliases.
My HTTPS references were changed to the new hostnames in my RECEIVE ORDER jcl.

I downloaded that cert on 24 May... In early June, the Service hosts changed to
the Cloud (all hail the cloud!!)
A new Client Certificate is in place and at the end of the day - I am back full
circle to Java again.

GIM44336S ** AN UNUSUAL CONDITION OCCURRED. GIMJVREQ -
java.net.SocketException: Write failed

As ugly as a Java stack trace is, I have not seen one.  Nor can I expect it to
be helpful.  (has never been yet)