From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Phil Smith III
Sent: 13 July 2023 22:22
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Userid schemes

I've seen various schemes used for creating up-to-eight-character userids,
all truncated as needed, of course. These are IDs I've had, won't tell ya
where each was (and omitting just firstname, just lastname, or intials):

1.      First initial, last name, plus a number as needed: PSMITH, PSMITH1
2.      Last name || first name, with number if necessary, but always
including first initial: SMITHIIP, or SMITHIP2 if needed
3.      First three of last name, first two of first name, plus a number:
SMIPH03 (I've always wondered how they'd deal with Kyle Fuchs or Tyrone
Shipman)
4.      First initial, last name, truncated to max of six with a two-digit
number: I was PSMITH87; friend was TSMITH99-we never found out what the next
T. Smith would get: would they reuse a hole, if any, or go to TSMIT100?

Anyone got any other variations? This is purely a curiosity item, no agenda.

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN