On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 02:38:44PM -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> Are comments in the source of 3.8 the best available documentation?

They might be out of date, but requirements of compatiblity and the cost
to IBM of changes make them somewhat relevant.  They're easily accessible
the other choice being MVT which probably worked the same (for this case).

Or the old MVT/MVS program logic manuals.

> >*        ...
> >*              A. THE CONTENTS DIRECTORY ENTRIES (CDES) FOR LOAD
> >*                 MODULES CONTAINED IN THE JOB PACK AREA ARE
> >*                 SEARCHED FOR AN ENTRY CONTAINING THE SPECIFIED
> >*
> What happens on LINK to a name in JPA, active, and not RENT?

You don't want to go there...  From memory:

 non-reuseable -> ignored, LINK will go get another copy

 serial reuseable -> LINK will wait until it's not in use

If it's RENT then it will get used if the name matches even if it was
fetched from a private library (at least on MVS SP?).  I had a small
program (non-auth) in linklst which would preload a list of RENT modules
from a private library and then XCTL to a specified target.  This let
me run ISPF with my modules in JPQ without a steplib.