Jon Perryman wrote:
>I need you to stop overthinking z/OS console. It's become very simple
>since IBM rewrote it several years ago. When running on a 3215 console
>printer, lines are printed and when running on a 3270, it's a
>fullscreen interface (like every other fullscreen application such as
>xedit). Forget that it is a z/OS console.

OK. So it *will* IPL with TERMINAL CONMODE 3215? I'll go back and tinker with
that again. That might be the key.

>You've only asked us how to use z/OS console with VM SECUID but never
>mentioned the problem you are trying to solve. I don't think it solves
>your problem. Console in 3270 mode is somewhat like xedit. Xedit deals
>with files whereas console deals with system messages which can be
>massive on an active z/OS. Like xedit, consoles in 3270 mode can
>scroll, exclude, split screen, issue commands to products on z/OS and
>much more. Very useful for someone controlling z/OS.

Apologies--it was clear to ME (of course!): I want to be able to watch the IPL
remotely. It's a dev system, quite quiet: normally nobody is looking at the
console at all. So when we do IPL, we're used to doing it from a VM console:
XAUTOLOG ...

< Wait for "IEE389I MVS COMMAND PROCESSING AVAILABLE", then issue>
CP SEND CP ETPGZ1D VINPUT VMSG V CN(*),ACT

>You want to use z/OS console as a 3215 which is a printer console and
>forward each line to a user using CP SECUID. With thousands of
>messages on a z/OS system, the user will be constantly clearing their
>screen. This is why I kept asking about PROP. If you don't filter the
>messages, you will just pissed off. Worse yet, because these messages
>will be formatted for a 3215, they won't be easily readable because of
>line wrap and other formatting problems.

There aren't thousands of messages, not on this system. I just left it
overnight and there were fewer than 10 screens of them. Of course on a "real"
system your comment would apply.

>>I thought (and still believe) the VARY made FFF "active" in some
>>sense, since without it, no SECUSER info; with it (after the VARY),
>>SECUSER info.

>V CN(*),ACTIVE could not possibly be related to FFF. It was sent to
>the emulated hardware console and activated (enabled) it for z/OS
>messages. If this solves your problem, I can tell you how to solve
>this in z/OS but it will miss the beginning messages.

Well...if I bring the guest up, the SECUSER (not "SECUID", that's not a VM
thing) sees no messages until I issue the VARY. Repeatable. So it's doing
*something*. Right, it misses the messages until the VARY, which is the current
problem I'm trying to solve.

>At this point, you need to decide if this solves your problem. If not,
>maybe we can give you alternatives if you provide some details on the
>problem you want to solve. Let me know if you want me to answer your
>other questions as an fyi.

See above?

Thanks for bearing with me here,

...phsiii