Fujitsu did not "buy" Amdahl machines, Fujitsu supplied Amdahl with their machines with the MODs we (yeah, I worked for Amdahl prior to 1990) asked for/needed, and then for instructions we didn't have micro-store for, we used FAM (Fast Assist Mode) which we then emulated instructions (part of MacroCode).

It was interesting, IBM had no idea that Amdahl had a new processor and was caught flat footed when we announced the 5990 machines and breaking the 100 MIP barrier. So they added another frame to the 3990s for 2 more processors to get over 100MIPS. And then they announced ESA. Some of those who were allowed to have the direct doc from IBM said they got the idea ESA really stood for Eat dung Amdahl. Bob Rogers really had a laugh at that when I told him about that discussion.

At any rate, we had enough micro store we could free up that the 5995A boxes could run ESA faster than the 3090 machines. And I can't remember for sure, but I think the 5890s were able to run at the same speed as the 3090s when doing ESA. The 5890s had to emulate ESA instructions.

If Amdahl management had pushed forward into CMOS earlier and stopped trying to dance with being a super UNIX system, or being a software company, or a communications company, etc. and didn't go through silly lay offs, things might have been very different today. We knew that we were going to need more RAM so 31bit wasn't going to work much longer if we wanted to run with more than 4 Domains (LPARs in IBM speak) with each of them having 1GB of RAM. To be honest I didn't see that at the time, but I came to understand later the issues for varying RAM on and off for an LPAR while working at ACS on WYLBUR.

And I still think my time at Amdahl was the best job and education in machine hardware I could have ever had for the short time I was there.

Steve Thompson