You can do all of those things with the workplace. It has been available since
ISPF 4.2 in 1995. If you don't have it on your primary option panel, you can
access it with ISPFWORK from any panel. I have been using it for the last 25
years and haven't had the need to use 3.4 since then.

The biggest difference between 11 and 3.4 is that, unless you have "Prefix
Dsname Level" checked on 3.4, you don't need quotes around the DSNAME Level.
With the Workplace, AFAIK, it always acts the way 3.4 does if you have "Prefix
Dsname Level" selected. Also, the workplace always gives you enhanced member
lists.

The major thing that the workplace gives me is the ability to create arbitrary
lists of DSNAME masks and have them all included. For example, if you create a
list that includes
'foo.**.bar'
'bar.**'

and issue DL against that list, you will get a data set list that includes all
foo.**.bar data sets and all data sets beginning with bar. Having done that, I
can issue SRCHFOR against them all, as just one example

The list that I use the most has something like this:

'app1.release1.source
'app1.release1.maclib
'app1.release1.listing
'app1.release1.load
'app2.release2.source
'app2.release2.maclib
'app2.release2.listing
'app2.release2.load
etc. for the products that I typically work with.

The actual HLQ is not app1, etc, but something more descriptive of the product,
so I couldn't use app*.

You wouldn't have to reinvent anything, just learn something that is new to you

In case you wondered, it has nothing to do with the ISPF Workstation Agent. I
used to use that for z/OS <-> PC file transfer, but the WSA has been removed.
It wasn't fast, but it was easy to use, at least for me.

--
Tom Marchant