On Wed, 9 Aug 2023, at 08:24, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2023 07:17:31 +0100, Jack Zukt  wrote:
>
>>What is it that you are trying to acomplish?
>>Best wishes
>>
> I am trying to improve my understanding of JCL C/I processing.

Ages ago (mid 1990s I think) I had a problem with temporary datasets
used DISP=(,PASS) etc in multi-step started tasks which were started
by automation.

It was possible that two or more could go through conversion within
the same second & so system-derived dsnames like (eg for &&DATA)

//* 'SYSyyddd.Thhmmss.RA000.stcname.DATA'

could be the same in both tasks.  We fixed this by

- changing all these files to proper cataloged dsnames (so we
  had control over their names)

- having automation pass a unique parm to each STC as it was
  started.  All the temporary datasets got deleted at the end of
  the task.  Typical dsnames were then

  appsuite.STC#TEMP.uniqueid.purpose

  - where "STC#TEMP" helped to show that this was one of these
  unusual temporary files used by an STC,

  - 'uniqueid' was the value set by SA/390 as it created and started
   the task

  - purpose   was a clue about what each such dataset was for

Perhaps you could solve whatever problem you have by using proper
datasets for your sysout files, then iebgener-ing them at the end of
the job?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.