I've driven on a few continents, Asia is basically watch out, there is no
"right of way".

Australia has terrible lane discipline, overtaking on the near side, people
braking when they see a speed camera on a freeway, limited use of turn
signals.

USA has better roads than Australia, people drive faster, tailgate about
the same as Australians.

The UK used to have very good driving habits but massive immigration has
led to a lowering of standards.

As for wind affecting vehicles, when I lived in the UK, I had a double
decker bus get blown into my path while I was overtaking. It was a day with
gale force winds, which are common and very destructive. The driver was
apologetic but the bus company didn't admit liability and I was stuck with
paying for my repairs. As a young person, I only had third party insurance.

France used to have "priorite a droit" which meant traffic could merge into
a highway from a minor road with the obvious consequences if you asserted
the commonly thought right of way.

The USA has great health care if you can pay. Probably has the worst
lifestyle.....

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 7:14 AM billogden <billog...@optonline.net> wrote:

> >Concerning the comments on trucks, driving, and the rest of the world.
> I lived for years in various parts of the world, including Germany (for one
> year). Driving can be more complex there (such as when driving 100MPH and
> being "blinked" from behind asking me to get out of the way!) Knew a few
> truck people with different mixtures of trucks and their stories were very
> mixed.
>
> Lived in Arizona for a year. Anyone who says "wind is never a problem"
> needs
> a bit more real-world education. This is a large country and different
> parts
> are different!
>
> I do believe that some of our long-distance trucking might be better via
> train, but loading/unloading containers has its own problems and issues.
> Simple-minded solve-it-all presentations are not very helpful.
>
> Bill Ogden

Wayne V. Bickerdike