In another thread, Jon Perryman wrote, in part:
>[You're] on a multi-million dollar computer shared by thousands.

Pure curiosity here: Without getting into any theology about futures, or that
obviously a single, relatively small app or even database could be used in some
sense by thousands of users via the network:
How many users do sites typically have these days?

In 1986, University of Waterloo had over 20,000 VM users (on four 4341s running
Adesse Single-System Image), which was considered well beyond the pale by most.
We had several thousand logged on at once. Now, that was VM (VM/SP, to be
precise).

How many users does your z/OS shop have defined, and what's your daily
high-water mark of logons? We're a tiny dev shop, so have a grand total of
about four humans who touch z/OS using keyboards, and one of them only does USS
stuff. That's presumably not typical; I mention it just in the spirit of fair
play.

Again, this is purely curiosity-I am not contending that it proves anything
(except what we already know, which is that thanks to networking, there are a
lot of users and uses that show no visible signs of touching the mainframe, yet
are 100% dependent on it).