On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:16:13 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>As long as they included something that looked like the Bourne shell, adding
>other shells as options wouldn't have affected POSIX and X.OPEN compliance.

Bourne shell falls considerable short of POSIX and X.OPEN compliance.
I once told an antiquarian of a SunOS 4 /bin.sh deficiency (tilde expansion,
IIRC.)  He quickly remarked, "Oh, that's Bourne shell."  I believe Bourne
also lacks "$( ... )" command substitution.    Perhaps obsessed with
portability, I test some scripts with dash.

>Preferences in e.g., desktop managers, languages, operating systems, are
>highly subjective; if it works for you, that's what matters.
>
>Now, if you're working on a large project hen some standardization is needed;
>again, if the choices made on the project work for the project, that's what
>matters.

Requirements are stricter for ISVs targeting multiple platforms and FOSS
developers.

--
gil