On 19/8/2023 6:18 pm, Sebastian Welton wrote:
On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 19:33:03 +0800, David Crayford<dcrayf...@gmail.com>  wrote:

I'm feeling a bit puzzled here! Bash doesn't come pre-installed with
z/OS; rather, it's a tool ported by Rocket, so there shouldn't be any
compatibility problems, right? If IBM decides to include zsh, which is
considered superior to bash, this could be a game-changer.
Currently trying this one out

If you're using it don't forget to star the repo on Github. That really helps the maintainers gauge how many people are using the port.

  not too sure if there is any Rocket influence or not:

Not that I know of. The distinction between the z/OS Open Tools initiative and Rocket's ported tools lies in Rocket's provision of commercial support and SMP/E packaging. Customers tend to approach open-source solutions on z/OS cautiously, especially after the Shellshock incident with bash. Rocket remains vigilant about addressing any new Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE), promptly releasing patches. Bash is a dependecy for Git, which holds significant importance as a ported tool. In recent customer presentations, the predominant focus has been on modernization, involving Git integration, whether directly or through bridging from existing legacy SCM systems.

I extend my appreciation to IBM for their commitment to the z/OS Open Tools initiative. The community is commendable, well-guided, and staffed with highly skilled engineers. Numerous packages have been ported, some of which I have undertaken myself, like CMake. I intend to leverage the z/OS Open Tools ports as they spare me the effort of continuous maintenance.

https://github.com/ZOSOpenTools/bashport

Sebastian.

send email tolists...@listserv.ua.edu  with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN