>> Then in that Edit session, I enter DSLIST and a pattern that leads to a
>> library. From the DSLIST, I browse the library, and enter SRCHFOR something.
>> That creates a second FTOPEN TEMP to build the input to the search, on top
>> of the previous one, all within the same ISPF session. What would the data
>> set name be?

Michael,

You are using the same Screen and if you issued the SRCHFOR on the DSLIST panel
when it brings up the list you would have gotten the exact error message
"ENQUEUE failed" at the top right corner. And if you pressed PF1, then you
would have got this message.

| Data set SPFCNTLX in use, ENQUEUE failed.   |

This is the reason for the Allocation error

Since ISPF provides you up to 8 screens, why NOT issue the SRCHFOR in another
screen ?  By doing so , the respective screen LIST/work datasets will be opened.

Thanks,
Kolusu