≫ Are VSAM GDGs supported?  I created the GDG base using the JCL below and was
able to create the first generation, but when I run that job again it tries to
create generation 1 again, giving me a JCL error because the GDS already exists.

Frank,

Check this.

GENERATIONDATAGROUP
    Specifies that a generation data group (GDG) entry is to be defined. A GDG
can contain both SMS- and non-SMS-managed generation data sets. A generation
data set (GDS) cannot be a VSAM data set. If you create a GDG and its catalog
is on an SMS-managed volume, you should remove any dependencies on pattern
DSCBs. See z/OS DFSMS Using Data Sets for information about GDGs and GDSs.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=dgp-required-parameters

Thanks,
Kolusu