On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 01:48:31 +0000, Hights, Charles <charles.hig...@dxc.com>
wrote:

>I am trying to find a replacement for SNA Link in Z/OS 2.5. My problem, I have
>4 LPAR's on one physical CPU. Normally to IP between the LPAR's we would just
>FTP to that LPAR's IP address and we had no issue. Now all of sudden the
>traffic
>is timing out. My routes are very simple, just a default route that sends
>everything to the switches that the OSA's connect to. I have spoken to the
>Switch
>support team and they say since the mainframes are on the same IP Segment it
>is not being passed to the FW. Unfortunately the switch team doesn't have any
>tools that will show what is happening to the traffic once the switch gets it.
>So
>I wanted to bypass the switches and setup an SNA Link type replacement. I see
>that feature is not defined in Z/OS 2.5. On another client we use Hiper Sockets
>to bypass the switches for internal IP between the LPAR's. On this particular
>CPU,
>Hiper Sockets devices are not configured in the IO Gen. So is there something
>in
>Z/OS 2.5, besides Hiper Sockets, that support a device and link type statements
>to all traffic between LPAR's on the same CPU?

If your LPARs are in the same subnet *and* are sharing an OSA adapter, the OSA
will "short circuit" the traffic between the LPARs and it will not be visible
on the switch.  Are you sharing OSAs?

You say "All of sudden".  What changed since the last time it worked?

Are you able to ping the gateway IP?

Your routing table should also show that the other LPARs are directly connected
(not routed).  You can also use the OSA Advanced Facilities on the HMC to
verify that your LPARs' IP addresses are properly registered in the OSA.  You
should also be able to see byte counts in motion.

You could reset the OSA, but that would affect outboard comms, assuming that's
the same OSA that connects to the switch.

>So I wanted to bypass the switches and setup an SNA Link type replacement. I
>see that feature is not defined in Z/OS 2.5. On another client we use Hiper
>Sockets to bypass the switches for internal IP between the LPAR's. On this
>particular CPU, Hiper Sockets devices are not configured in the IO Gen. So is
>there something in Z/OS 2.5, besides Hiper Sockets, that support a device and
>link type statements to all traffic between LPAR's on the same CPU?

No SNA links. You're already bypassing the switches by sharing OSAs.   Remember
that the OSAs are acting as a network offload processor for you, moving data
from one LPAR to another for you.  If you change to use HiperSockets, you will
start to burn the Z CPU.  If you have the headroom, no problem, but the more
data you move, the more CPU you burn.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM