Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

This is a pervasive mainframe problem too.

I have not heard the term used recently, but for obvious reasons IBM
marketing people used to prize what they called 'hardware hawks' very
highly.

A hardware hawk was a customer executive whose unvarying response to
any and all problems was to throw more hardware at them.

In the short term this tactic often works.  In the slightly longer
term its use yields systems that become progressively harder and
harder to maintain and all but impossible to replace.

Looking at the litany of vulnerabilities documented in the posts I
receive from us-cert.gov has convinced me that almost every
application and all systems software needs to be rewritten ab initio.

They were designed, to the extent that they were designed, in a
simpler time.  They reflect the assumption that most of their users
will be benign, with only a few being prerternaturally stupid and a
few others bent on theft.

The only appropriate assumption now is that all users are bent upon
subverting and/or destroying the systems they use.

This assumption is of course hyperbolic: some users will always be too
lazy or too unimaginative to do much damage.  It is nevertheless
necessary.

The work of Rufus Isaacs on aircraft-collision avoidance, which I have
mentioned here before, is highly instructive.  He found that the only
safe collision-avoidance strategies for aircraft  A in an air space
also occupied by aircrafts B, C, D, . . . were based upon the
assumption they were hellbent on colliding suicidally with it.

This weekend, for the first time in a very long time, I looked at a
stream of problem reports for a compiler.  (It was a C compiler, but
that is not important.)  What struck me about them was that most of
those that involved syntactically constructs reflected 'bizarre' uses
of the language that would not occur to anyone who was proficient in
it.

The only way to cope with such deficiencies is to generate
syntactically correct constructs, however absurd,
mechanically/programmatically for testing.  Here, as elsewhere, malice
and ignorance are often very difficult to disentangle.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA