On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 17:07:44 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:
>So e.g. we have a product
>that has a notion of transactions, and a transaction is represented by a
>single CB that points to various other CBs, ...

How do you achieve that, given that Rexx has no pointer type?
STORAGE() lets you access and modify CBs once you know
their addresses, but not to use addresses of Rexx-owned objects.

I can imagine supplying interfaces to GETMAIN/FREEMAIN.

I once lamented that the SMP/E API depends on pointers in
ways that are hostile to REXX.  Kurt Q. replied, approximately,
"Well, you can't please everybody."

The ICSF API, in contrast, is REXX- friendly.  There are SAMPLIB
members.  The only pointers needed are arguments to LINKMVS.

REXX is important enough that it should be considered in the
design of an API.

--
gil