I just tried on three z/OS 2.5 systems and four 2.4 systems and it seems to be
working correctly.  It only seems to say task busy when it should, i.e I have
terminated the task but it's not completely down yet.

Also our SyzEMAIL/z task allows me to change from accepting modifies to not
accepting them and it is working okay with me turning it off and they get
ignored or when I kill the CIB subtask and then I see the IEE342I.  That's
pretty much what I would expect though.

What release are you having the issue with?  Is it possible you have duplicate
tasks running and that one of them is responding with IEE342I and the other is
actually executing.  I can force that to happen if I start two automation tasks
with the same STCSTEPNAME.   I can start SYZMON.KILLME, and destroy it's CIB,
then start another SYZMON.KILLME (or even ANYTHING.KILLME) and when I type "F
KILLME,FREEZE" one of them gets the IEE324I and the other one enters freeze
mode, issues the freeze warning message and waits for the command to continue.
Is it possible you have two STCs with the same STCSTEPNAME?  Or even just two
STC's with no stepname but identical STCnames.

Brian