Yes. I will speak from memory and I do not speak for IBM of course, so take all
of this as you wish.

Back in the bad old days, before about 2018, large software companies generally
shipped products as object code and did the final link/bind at the customer
site, thereby avoiding shipping any IBM code. Small software companies often
shipped linked load modules that included IBM licensed code because ... well,
obviously that is what made sense and IBM didn't seem to mind. (Big software
companies had legal departments that didn't accept that kind of logic.)

A man at IBM named John Eels set out to rationalize and change that. (I am sure
many others were involved and someone else may actually have initiated the
effort.) I had a very small part in assisting John with identifying code that
made sense for IBM to allow software vendors to link into products and ship.
John worked with IBM product owners and IBM legal to get the situation largely
to the state that you see it today, with a comprehensive "okay to link and
ship" list all collected in one place or a small number of places. It was a
years-long effort, and one of the last things John Eels worked on before he
retired.

(An earlier project of John's -- I believe he was the father or at least the
mid-life babysitter of the ADCD -- back when it really was a CD.)

Charles