I'm looking at the doc on this and the rules on how it works are not clear.

I would appreciate the help of an expert on this.

The doc has an example of 3 files and it shows each iteration in the processing
and which files are "available" or N/A.
File 1 key 3A is available twice - iterations 3 and 4.
File 1 key 8A is available twice - iterations 11 and 12.

My impression is that records with equal keys are available from innermost to
outermost until a duplicate key is encountered.

The simplest case is a 3-way merge to produce a completely sorted file.
If a record is "available" twice, one needs to remember this and not process
the record the 2nd time it is available.
This isn't too bad for a 3-way merge but it gets more complicated as you add
files.

" Remember, the matching algorithm is hierarchical, so the key is exhausted on
the lowest level before another record is processed from the next higher-level
file." - This is from the documentation.
This statement contradicts what happens in the table of iterations shown in the
documentation.

Please contact me offline.

Regards, Pierre.