From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Phil Smith III <li...@akphs.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 7, 2023 3:55 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM APAR Names

This has been interesting. As a long-time VMer, I'd note that in VM-land, there
is of course no SMP/E and things are a bit different. "APAR" and "PTF" kind of
get used interchangeably, though there is recognition that they're not the
same. But typically a VMer will say "I need APAR VM20779", not "I need the PTF
for z/VM 7.3 that came from APAR VM20779", because it's basically same
difference without SMP/E. The VM maintenance tools (VMSES/E) work fine but
aren't as.shall we say theological? as SMP/E.

(Extra credit for anyone who remembers VM20779, at least 40 years ago!)