On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:54:31 -0600, Jon Perryman wrote:
>> and probably has some effect on performance for QSAM.
>
>I'm guessing that performance benefit is insignificant. More important is the
>adverse effect of buffering by BSAM / QSAM. It violates the UNIX standard of
>concurrent writes to a file. Most people don't think about the impact of this
>logic which says you have a file open 20 times, the records will be
>interleaved according to the time the write occurred. Instead of immediately
>adding each record, BSAM / QSAM buffering would delay adding the records to
>the file causing them to be out of sequence. I simply can't see IBM enabling
>BSAM / QSAM buffering that would confuse Unix programmers, but I could be
>wrong.

I suppose part of the answer is here:
<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/3.1.0?topic=processing-unix-files-access-method>

-    The access method buffers writes beyond the buffering that your program
sees. This means that after your program issues BSAM WRITE and CHECK, QSAM PUT
with BUFNO=1 or a VSAM PUT, the data probably is not yet on the disk. If the
file is not a FIFO, your program can issue the BSAM or QSAM SYNCDEV or CLOSE
macro to force immediate writing. This interferes with good performance.

--
gil