From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2023 10:38 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Stupid JCL question

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:15:49 +0000, Seymour J Metz  wrote:

>No. Code points can be expressed in hex; characters cannot.

It depends.  Much IBM literature uses "character" to mean what other cultures
call "octet".  And Unicode documentation shows several representations
for characters, including hex.

>What is 'D0'X? Without knowing the code page, no answer is possible.
>
>This is not limited to EBCDIC on z; n  the PC world, there are two different
>encodings for logical Not, which is an issue for older implemntations of Rexx;
>I believe that all of the newest versions recognize both 'AA'X  and 'AC'X.

In "regina.pdf", I see: "¬ Logical Not".  That's x'c2  ac'.  But when I
copy/paste it,
it looks OK on my desktop, but  Regina gets syntax errors.  I prefer
documentation
with usable examples.

--
gil