Thanks Rick.
This is the part I don't follow... "You can use SSH directly (with client
invoking SSH to launch a service program on the target)".

Is it possible to make a simple example?
User A at Machine A wants to connect via port 4321 to machine B port 22, and
it's just good old SSH connectivity.

I don't understand the "encrypt a connection" part.
Meaning, SSH-ing into machines is well known and there's encryption etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think "ssh -L ..." is just to get to SSH on a
target machine via a non-standard port?