On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:33:34 +0200, Binyamin Dissen
<bdis...@dissensoftware.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 14:47:29 +0000 Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:
>
>:>I need to check whether any of a list of datasets exists and whether any of
>a list of ddnames is allocated. I'd rather not trap and parse the output of
>LISTALC and LISTCAT, and I'd rather not call LISTDSI for each one. Is there a
>simple way to do that in REXX, or would it be better to write a small service
>routine in assembler?
>
>:>I don't have a requirement to handle XTIOT.
>
>The elephant in the room - why?

The OP has never told us what problem he was solving although the last messages
hint at it. The original messages implied he was developing an ISPF
application. We now know that he doesn't have SYSPROG access and he wants to
setup the ISPF environment. The elephant in the room is now  mixed dataset
attributes for concatenated DD's. E.g. ISPPLIB is by default RECFM=FB,LRECL=80
but he needs concatenated datasets with attributes like RECFM=VB,LRECL=180.

> As you are worried about performance, it appears to be something that will
> need to run quite often. How will you use this information?

The OP has never stated this is about performance. The LISTDSI requirement
being a performance issue has become unclear with the last few messages. He
implies it will only be used at ISPF initialization. He's said that this is
about setting up the ISPF user environment rather that ISPF application
environment setup.