On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 14:34:16 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aol.com> wrote:

>In <https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/3.1.0?topic=section-call-description>

>I see no MF=L.  What are the reentrancy concerns?

Scroll to the next sections to see the execute and list forms of the CALL macro.

>But can PLIST8=YES and PLIST8=NO be specified together?

HLASM ignores all but the last one I believe (or maybe it's the first). I never
code args twice so I can't tell you which or if HLASM now rejects it.

>default is:
>    If running AMODE 64, PLIST8=YES
>    If not running AMODE 64, PLIST4=YES

This is incorrect because macro's don't understand run time. This actually
refers to the AMODE statement in your source code.

More important is the program being called. Does it expect PLIST4 or PLIST8.
The assumption is that if you specify AMODE 64, then you are calling programs
that expect PLIST8=YES.

>Register Contents
>1 Address of the parameter list, if present
>
>Are the contents unpredictable if the parameter list is absent?

Test it. It's simple enough to see if R1 is zeroed. IBM's philosophy is not to
change an undesired behavior that may adversely affect existing code.

>If //  EXEC PGM= refers to an AMODE 64 program, does the initiator
>provide an AMODE 64 plist?

This would be my expectation but it's easy enough to test.

>Are the semantics of PLIST8=NO and PLIST4=YES identical?

Only a bad coder would specify PLIST8=NO instead of PLIST4=YES. Make it easy
for others to understand your intentions because PLIST8=NO is not clear.