P.S. - COBOL compiler is Enterprise COBOL V6.4.

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Farley, Peter
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2023 6:46 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Questions about COBOL debugging lines in subroutines

I have a little mystery concerning debugging lines ("D" in column 7) in COBOL
subroutines compiled in the same input file as the main program.  Sample output
and code are pasted below.

The execution JCL for this sample program includes a CEEOPTS DD with the LE
"DEBUG" option set so debugging lines SHOULD display on SYSOUT.  In my little
test, only the debugging line in the main program displays on SYSOUT.

Q1: Can anyone tell me why the debugging line in the subroutine does not
execute at run time?

Q2: Is there any way I can adjust the code or the compile process to cause the
subroutine debugging line to execute at run time?

Peter

Sample SYSOUT output:

DBGSAMPL I=+000000003,J=+000000004,K=+000000002

Sample COBOL code compiled as a single SYSIN file to the compiler, using
options 'AR(EX),DS(S),NOSEQ':

       IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.

       PROGRAM-ID. DBGSAMPL.

       ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.

       CONFIGURATION SECTION.

       SOURCE-COMPUTER.

           Z-SYSTEM

               WITH DEBUGGING MODE

           .

       DATA DIVISION.

       LOCAL-STORAGE SECTION.

       01  I    PIC S9(9) BINARY VALUE 1.

       01  J    PIC S9(9) BINARY VALUE 2.

       01  K    PIC S9(9) BINARY VALUE 3.

       PROCEDURE DIVISION.

       MAIN-PARAGRAPH.

           CALL "SUBSAMP1" USING I, J, K

      D    DISPLAY "DBGSAMPL I=" I ",J=" J ",K=" K

           GOBACK

           .

       END PROGRAM DBGSAMPL.

       IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.

       PROGRAM-ID. SUBSAMP1.

       ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.

       DATA DIVISION.

       LINKAGE SECTION.

       01  I1   PIC S9(9) BINARY VALUE 1.

       01  J1   PIC S9(9) BINARY VALUE 2.

       01  K1   PIC S9(9) BINARY VALUE 3.

       PROCEDURE DIVISION USING I1, J1, K1.

       MAIN-PARAGRAPH.

           MOVE K1 TO I1

           MOVE J1 TO K1

           MOVE 4  TO J1

      D    DISPLAY "SUBSAMP1 I=" I1 ",J=" J1 ",K=" K1

           GOBACK

           .

       END PROGRAM SUBSAMP1.

attachments from your system.