W dniu 25.01.2024 o 18:07, Paul Gilmartin pisze:
On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:42:46 +0100, Radoslaw Skorupka wrote:

I have to move some directory trees from one file system location to
another.
The tree is rather complex (dozen directories, hundreds files) and some
files do have extended attributes.
My goal is to preserve all the metadata like files ownership, FSP, ACL,
tags, audit flags, etc.

I tried to use pax

Wouldn't it be nice if z/OS supported virtual disks, akin to .iso or .dmg?
(Idea?)

Yes, it would be nice. As many other features which I don't need now.

*But* some of the information you need to preserve probably resides
outside the filesystem, such as ACL, tags, audit flags, etc., even as
a snapshot copy of a CKD DASD might not preserve catalog and
RACF information.

I don't think so. All of the metadata are moved with ZFS dataset and exist even if you mount it in another z/OS system.

Regarding .iso images - it would be good to upload a CD. Or download some USS tree. However in my case the goal is to move some tree to another location, despite of physical ZFS boundaries. Whole ZFS can be easily copied using IDCAMS or ADRDSSU, etc.

BTW, for record purposes: -p e and -x pax do the job.
-x pax is relatively new archive format and include -o saveext. This is for -w archive
-p e reads all the attributes, acl's, etc. This is for -r archive
It is also possible to use copy mode
pax -rw -p e source dest

Thanks for the hint!

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

  • pax... Radoslaw Skorupka
    • ... Styles, Andy (CIO GS&S - Core Infrastructure & IT Operations )
      • ... Colin Paice
    • ... Paul Gilmartin
      • ... Radoslaw Skorupka