From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, February 8, 2024 4:19 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Reading a scratch tape

rpomm...@sfgmembers.com> wrote:

>In the "scratch category" settings, you can set an "expire hold" field that
>tells the TS77xx how long to keep an expired tape before releasing it to
>scratch.  I believe that once that threshold is crossed, the TS77xx rewrites
>the tape mark to the beginning of the tape and all data is lost - unless IBM
>has some magic they can preform on the back end.

"Expired" but not really!?  This makes as little sense as expecting to read a
temporary data set in a subsequent job.

With a physical tape one might EXCP, bypass errors, and recover some data.

But when my employer was designing a product, we learned that some users expect
the scratch pool to be managed FIFO.  I was astonished.

--
gil

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format. Thank you.