From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Steve Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2024 8:49 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: SDSF PS Command column

Seymour, this is a very interesting observation you made.

I'm now experiencing similar....

With a certain banking system we use, you logon, and then you have to prove you
are the person you say you are by providing more information. While having 2
factor authentication.

With a certain cell provider, you have to login, then provide your PIN, then
tell them your IMEI ....

How many people have that information memorized?

At some point we make being secure, *insecure,* because we won't talk to you
because we can't be sure you are who you say you are, even with 2 factor
authentication, and your password.

Corporate paranoia.

Steve Thompson

On 2/13/2024 11:31 PM, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> The  problem is not auditors; it is incompetent auditors.
>
> In the Army they taught us that preventing authorized access is a security
> violation. An unthinking automatic timeout is a DOS attack when it prevents
> running an annual job.
>
> --
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://mason.gmu.edu/*smetz3__;fg!!KjMRP1I
> xj6eLE0Fj!r3eDyWon_gy4rfKn8xiwhaf7-aligjydAdLV_p-26FcFegDBRI5PS9lR5OH9
> bl_WBA3n8nAu4SOXe5hz$
> עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
> נֵ֣צַח יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל לֹ֥א יְשַׁקֵּ֖ר

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format. Thank you.