On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:22:53 -0600, Peter Farley wrote:

>The only HLL-callable function already provided in z/OS that I can find that
>provides anything near that resolution is the LE Callable Services function
>CEEGMT, but two calls to that service from a COBOL program in a row separated
>by only a few calculations and a DISPLAY to SYSOUT produce identical values.
>This is not good enough for high-volume processing needs.  Every request for a
>time value needs to generate a new higher value.

What guarantees uniqueness other than STCT(E)?  Does the Sysplex Timer/ETR
guarantee
uniqueness across the plex?

And monotonicity is a harsher constraint.  In the Bad Old Days when each CPU
had its own
TOD and uniqueness was achieved by putting the CPU ID in the TOD programmable
field
I wondered hereabouts whether a later transaction on a lower CPU could get lower
timestamp than an earlier transaction on a higher CPU.

And even if a service such as STCKE returns unique values, conversion to
displayable
nanoseconds can result in duplicates.

You need a serialized service common to all participating processes that
returns unique
values in a specified format.  Performance may suffer.

--
gil