For clarity, start with "chroot" or "change root".
Unix has had thechroot() function and the 'chroot' command since before my time, thus POSIX and Linux have it too. Within a changed root environment, the process or program can only "see" files from the new root directory on down. The hardware architecture and the operating system (ABI or application binary interface) remain the same.

The downside to this (or maybe the upside, depending on what you need) is that programs running under 'chroot' "see" the same network stack and devices. They also "see" other processes (and can signal them). I used to say that 'chroot' was the closest thing Unix had to a virtual machine. It's fantastic for development, and often useful for security.
But then came containers.

Containers are like "chroot on steroids". Processes running in a container have the "root" indicated, but also have their own unique _network address_ and a private _process space_. The advantage is sharing of the kernel (or nucleus); no need to intercept I/O or virtualize devices. The hardware architecture and the operating system (ABI or application binary interface) remain the same.

A container hosted by Linux is a Linux environment. A container hosted by Slolaris is a Slolaris environment. A container (called a "jail") hosted by FreeBSD* is a FreeBSD environment. _Presumably a container hosted by z/OS (USS) is a z/OS (USS) environment,_ but the sales pitches are perhaps vague. (It's also possible that I'm just dense! I concede.)

So ... Timothy ... please speak it plainly for slowpokes like me.
*What exactly are these various offerings? *

Thanks!

*FreeBSD (or possibly one of the other BSDs) was first with this, by the way. They call it a "jail".

-- R; <><