>> I just did an experiment in DFSORT with JCL-style line comments after
>> INCLUDE, SORT, and OUTREC, and they work!
The DFSORT doc says that comments are only supported when entered with * on
column 1.

Bob,

Of course, they work as you entered a REMARKS.

Remark Field :  This field can contain any information. It is not required, but
if it is present, it must be separated from the last operand field by at least
one blank.

This is documented in here .

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/3.1.0?topic=statements-general-coding-rules

≫ The DFSORT doc says that comments are only supported when entered with * on
column 1.
When was this implemented, and why isn’t this documented? Do you think it is
safe to rely on?

The behavior did not change. It stayed the same across releases.  You can rely
on remarks working across releases.

≫ When was this implemented, and why isn’t this documented? Do you think it is
safe to rely on?

AFAIK, the behavior is the same since the inception of DFSORT.

≫ I sent this question to dfs...@us.ibm.com<mailto:dfs...@us.ibm.com> but it
bounced right back, perhaps there are DFSORT developers here.

The hotline is shut off and we updated the pubs to remove the references to
that.  I am not sure which documentation you are looking for, but pubs for V2R5
and higher will not have that reference.

≫perhaps there are DFSORT developers here.

I for one am an active participant on this list.

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development
IBM Corporation