From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Tony Harminc
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2024 11:59 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Posting issues - why do some posts have anonymous
FROM-addresses?

On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 at 08:50, Jeremy Nicoll <jn.ls.mfrm...@letterboxes.org>
wrote:

> I just noticed that some posts here show the poster's own email
> address whereas others have something like
>
>   00000xxxxxxxxxxx-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu

 This is a workaround invented by Lsoft (the makers of LISTSERV) for changes
made around ten years ago by Google and other "big tech" companies that largely
broke the decades-old world of mailing lists.

A cynic would say that Google et al just want to keep everyone and everything
"on platform", i.e. not support nasty things like mailing lists because they
allow people to communicate without going through them. Google would say it's
all about avoiding spam and phishing emails.

Essentially things go wrong because LISTSERV is unable to sign (loosely
speaking) an email that it receives from a subscriber and wants to relay to the
list. And if a recipient's mail system rejects it for that reason, then
LISTSERV generates a random email address @ the LISTSERV address, and sends
from that address (which of course it *is* authorized to send from). If someone
responds directly to a list poster who has such a generated email address,
LISTSERV will forward it on, but of course that introduces a third party into
the email chain. Nobody wants that, but it makes the best of a bad situation.

If you look back at archives or your own personal mail, you can see some
people's list email addresses change over time as their mail provider has
changed their policies and LISTSERV dynamically assigns one of their
xxx-dmarc- things.

If you go to the Lsoft site
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lsoft.com__;!!KjMRP1Ixj6eLE0Fj!uXlmrgWL3lI2XQhm4TXx1CMD4SCDTehWjw55VfqNdXpiQ1iRR4DpEwdpxyUMWsC2-XbpREzkCn44w5ea$
  and search there for "dmarc", you'll see a bunch of stuff on how they deal
with the problems.It's not pretty, but it mostly works.

Does the latter indicate a post made via newsgroup bit.listserv.ibm-main
> (if the gateway between NNTP & listserv still works?) while the former
> indicate "posts" made directly to the listserv by email?

I don't think it has anything to do with NNTP and such. It's all about how
strict a given list subscriber's email handling is.

Tony H.

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format. Thank you.