I guess when the utility was developed JCL was way simpler and test cases
were limited.

After Gil raised the various gotchas, I wrote myself a PUTPDS program with
a user defined delimiter. Eschewing 2 bytes means I can come up with a very
random string such as !@#$%^&*  ADD NAME=MEMBER. Not likely to be embedded
in usual members.

Now adding some bells and whistles. Not that I need it in retirement. Golf
today.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 12:47 AM Steve Thompson <ste...@wkyr.net> wrote:

> In a single word, yes.
>
> And as has been stated, setting up "DLM=" requires, at times, a
> scan of just the first several bytes of each logical record to
> find what unique value(s) one can use.
>
> Steve Thompson
>
> On 4/15/2024 3:30 AM, <Thomas> <Berg> wrote:
> > Just curious. Have anyone had problem with this delimiter problem in
> real life with anything other than JCL in the inline input data?
> > (I mean the alternative of a separate file seems to be a better/normal
> alternative unless the inline data is at the end of the member/ds.)

Wayne V. Bickerdike