--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

W dniu 16.04.2024 o 11:49, P H pisze:
Reminds me of something that happened decades ago. A failing 3350 disk was
replaced. The failing disk was returned to supplier. The platters were very
shiny. The disk had been through a sand blasting machine 🙂

________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Radoslaw
Skorupka <00000471ebeac275-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: 16 April 2024 10:23
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: IBM key management products

"take disks back to work"
Well, an auditor could be very happy of this finding.
The disk was somewhere outside. Who read it? Was it replaced with
another one? Etc.

No, it is not so funny.
I know the case, financial company ordered disks destroyment. A lot of
disks - over 4000 approximately.
What happened?
Some disks fell out of the truck during transportation. Yes, and guys
responsible for that stopped the truck on a highway and collected fallen
disks. All of the disks? Nobody knows.
Obviously there were no list of of the disks. Despite security dept.
rules saying that every erased disk should be registered, with model,
type and serial number.
Ho, BTW: the company had degausser machine - it was enough to hire some
student to degauss all of the disks. (no SSD at the time)

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland