On 20/04/2024 1:42 am, Jay Maynard wrote:
Agreed Java is simply far too complex a language and ecosystem to hold in
the mind. Python is as ubiquitous and much easier to deal with.

Really? What do you NEED to learn for Java that you don't need to learn for other languages? public static void main(String[] args)?

Loops, if statements, data types, string processing are things you need to learn for all languages. I/O is useful (Rexx EXECIO isn't exactly intuitive).

There are lots of add-ons, but you learn them (or just reference the details) if you need them. You still need to install add-ons and learn extra functionality for Python. Packages providing additional functionality are a good thing generally.

The Twilio Python sample looks very similar to the Java version:

https://www.twilio.com/docs/messaging/quickstart/python#send-an-sms-using-twilio

I ran the Java version on z/OS by uploading the Twilio jar-with-dependencies and running the sample under BPXBATCH. Is Python easier???

//BPXBATCH EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH,REGION=512M
//STDPARM  DD *
sh /usr/lpp/java/J11.0_64/bin/java
 /home/andrewr/java/src/TwilioTest.java
 "Hello from z/OS"
//STDENV   DD *
CLASSPATH=/home/andrewr/java/lib/twilio-10.1.3-jar-with-dependencies.jar
TWILIO_ACCOUNT_SID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TWILIO_AUTH_TOKEN=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
//SYSOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
//STDOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
//STDERR   DD SYSOUT=*

--