I'll go a little different route.  If the real issue is with the dollars for
the software there is an interesting approach you could look at.

The place I worked at had setup some years ago several lpars that got grouped
together in a softcap capacity group.  Then we forced jobs to run there based
on the software they ran.  A good example for us was SAS and SAS/MXG stuff.  We
had other software that also got forced there.  This allowed us to save money.
Didn't have to pay SAS the full machine price for their software.

So, there are some things to consider.

You would need to have some spare MIPS and memory for two or three lpars on the
same CEC.  We used three lpars.  One prod, one test and one for the systems
programmers.

You would have to setup some type of routing scheme to get the jobs over to the
lpars.  We used JES2 exits to do that.  This way we didn't have to change JCL
to get the jobs run on those lpars.  Naturally you would either use shared
spool or an NJE connection to get jobs routed and run.

It would be best if you are a sysplex so you could properly setup things like
WLM and GRS and your security product.

There maybe some work for your scheduling software and maybe your spool offload
product (if you have one).

You have to look at all the resources your SAS jobs need and how do you share
those resources across lpars.

I'm sure I missed something to mention.

Yes, this is a bit of work to setup.

The up side is you now have a place to run things like SAS that maybe have low
usage but high dollars.  I think we had someplace between 6 to 10 software
products that we pushed to the environment.  Basically, low usage software that
we needed but didn't like paying full price for.

Also, this assumes the software vendor plays nicely and agrees to charge based
on the softcap.

Paul