I remember a lecturer at IBM in London 1975 when I was taking a PL/I course.

He asked, "Why is VSAM like a cow in a meadow".

Answer : "Because they are both outstanding in their field".

Our company was still using ISAM and continued well past 1978. I first
encountered VSAM at IBM when I went to work there in 1978.

I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about.

On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 11:46 PM billogden <billog...@optonline.net> wrote:

> > What you described about VSAM is what I heard too, a replacement of the
> then dominant access methods.
> >
> Wow -- I distinctly remember that goal. It really scared many of us
> (customers and IBMers) and made some of us aware of the gaps between
> "developers" and "users".
>
> KSDS worked well to replace ISAM (and ISAM is another bad memory!) The
> other
> VSAM types mostly vanished, although there is a newer one for LINEAR data.
>
> Some participants here are roughly as old as I am -- with notes about 2311s
> and 2314s (and we should probably skip our potential comments about 650s,
> 1620s, 1400s, and 709xs)!
>
> Bill Ogden

Wayne V. Bickerdike