From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Farley, Peter x23353
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 4:39 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Question about LSR vs HiperBatch

Hiperbatch is limited to 2GB of data for all files cached across the entire
sysplex.  It is a "stabilized" product no longer being actively updated.  We
use it for one particular file used across many applications, but that is
the only file we can use it for since it is a large file (> 1.5GB).  Also
Hiperbatch works well for sequential access, but random access does not seem
to benefit as much.

Batch LSR works very well for random access (we use it quite a lot), but you
may instead want to investigate the much newer System-Managed Buffering
(SMB) capability, documented in the JCL reference and user guide manuals
(cf. DD parameter AMP, sub-parameter ACCBIAS et. al.).

HTH

Peter