On 06/25/2013 09:17 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 08:15:46 -0500, John McKown wrote:
I don't know why the binder requires
the RENT parameter to mark a program object as RENT if all the input CSECTs
are COBOL which is compiled with the RENT compiler option. Maybe somebody
could explain? Nobody here really understands CA-Endevor.

Is there any way that compiler output can be marked RENT?  I thought
that option was available only on load modules.

If I knew CICS at all, would it be obvious to me why you don't simply
GETMAIN (whatever) a 72-byte save area?

-- gil

Any native z/OS service that could potentially result in either a TCB wait or ABEND is not acceptable in application transaction code that runs in a multi-user transaction server region like CICS. GETMAIN falls into that category, so CICS creates its own memory pools and provides CICS memory management services which transaction code running under CICS must invoke, partially to achieve lower overhead by taking advantage of special knowledge of the transaction environment, but also to allow CICS to degrade more gracefully than a total failure by modifying transaction dispatching should the region begin to get Short-On-Storage. Those CICS Server services are only available in a CICS server region, not in batch, which complicates the design of any subroutine which needs to run in both environments.

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org