On 27 June 2013 11:48, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be worth while to tell IBM that the document would be much more
> readable if it were like the other manuals; having only one column of text,
> except perhaps for tables?

I have had nothing but good results from my RCFs to the PrOps over the
years. Those have all been regarding technical matters rather than
formatting, but by all means do send in your comments. I'm sure they
will be quite receptive.

> I wonder if it would be worth my while to try to
> OCR the PDF to create something that I could import into a true DTP program
> (and I'm not talking MS Word! Perhaps LaTex).

OCRing shouldn't be necessary. The PDF contains the text already (as
evidenced by the correct working of the "find" function) and should be
editable in any PDF editor. There are no security flags set that would
prevent this, but I don't know what the copyright implications of
doing so might be. This is almost certainly not the right forum to get
into (yet another, usually ill-informed) discussion of the copyright
laws.

Tony H.