On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 09:25:37 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>In <2972359222388556.wa.paulgboulderaim....@listserv.ua.edu>, on
>06/30/2013
>   at 09:50 PM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> said:
>
>>What are the enhancements in the ANSI standard?
>
>Among other things, stream I/O, enhancements to address.

I believe stream I/O was part of MFC's original specification of Rexx;
it can hardly be called an "enhancement" in the ANSI standard.

Which enhancements to "address"?

>Oddly enough, z/OS supports stream I/O in the Unix shell but not in
>the TSO TMP.

Not really.  I believe an enthusiastic and generous developer provided
part of stream I/O as a function package.  But it lacks SIGNAL ON
NOTREADY, which can't be implemented as an external function.

And if one looks hard enough in IBM sites, one can (once could?) find
YA function package which provides stream I/O for legacy data sets
but not for UNIX files.  Perhaps it belongs to the Rexx compiler.

    http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/H1981605/3.0
     3.0 Stream I/O for TSO/E REXX

in:

    Title: IBM Compiler and Library for REXX on zSeries V1 R4 User's Guide and
Reference
    Document Number: SH19-8160-05

(also lacks SIGNAL ON NOTREADY)

And of course one _can_ get to UNIX stream I/O under the TSO TMP
if one resorts to "address SYSCALL spawn".

-- gil