On 19 July 2013 08:19, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some all but random responses.
[...]
> The C language switch statement is defined very specifically and
> carefully as an SBCS single-character facility.  Not at all
> incidentally, this definition ensures that branch tables can always be
> used to implement a C switch statement.

One can argue that in the highly constrained hardware environments
where C "grew up", a 256-byte branch table was far more of a barely
thinkable extravagance than is a 64k one today. I would not be at all
surprised to learn of some PDP-11 architectural construct that makes
restricting switch statements to single byte values desirable for
implementation purposes independent of the ability to use branch
tables.

Tony H.