Here is exact cut and paste with zero editing, complete with a typo in the
second comment. The code is unit tested on MS Visual Studio -- hence the two
#ifdef's.

        // Find First Set
        static inline int Ffs64(unsigned long long valueToTest)
        {
                // returns index of first set bit. Uses UNIX convention
where bit 1 is LSB of word for compatibilit with z/OS ffs()

                static const unsigned long long lswMask =
0x00000000ffffffff;

                // note Windows provides a _BitScanForward64() but I did it
this way to make it more z/OS-like for test purposes
                // if we ever needed Windows efficiency, or if IBM provides
an ffs64(), then this should be re-written to take advantage

                if ( valueToTest == 0 ) return 0;

                unsigned int testWord;
                testWord = valueToTest & lswMask;
                if ( testWord != 0 )
                {
                        // _BitScanForward returns base 0
#ifdef WIN32
                        unsigned long index;
                        _BitScanForward(&index, testWord);
                        return index+1;
#else
                        return ffs(testWord);
#endif
                }
                else
                {
                        testWord = valueToTest >> 32;
#ifdef WIN32
                        unsigned long index;
                        _BitScanForward(&index, testWord);
                        return index+33;
#else
                        return ffs(testWord) + 32;
#endif

                }
        }

I have strong -- but not utterly conclusive; you know what debugging a
complex program is like -- that for the value I had in the OP --
0x0034000000000000? -- the method returns 32, implying that the final ffs()
was called with testWord = 0.

Charles