On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 16:05:34 -0500, Ed Gould wrote:

>Sigh... there is "installed" and then there is INSTALLED. No
>application programmer would/should be granted access to update to
>any system library if that is what you complaining about too bad, If
>you are talking SMPE Again the smpe libraries are essentially keys.
>Now they are OK for an auditor or management to READ them but NOT for
>lowly programmers. If you want SMPE for the average joe programmer
>again the answer should be NO.  There are some things (albiet few
>things) that application should not be using.

Elitism.  SMP/E should be just a tool to be used with appropriate
protection of resources.  Until about 3 years ago, the fact was
(believed to be) that with proper data set protection SMP/E was no
more dangerous than any other tool.  You seem to be asserting that
use of SMP/E should be restricted to an elite cadre, but in your
previous submission:

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:14:10 -0500, Ed Gould wrote:

>... We had one person that work from home and she installed a
>product and it utterly failed as she show horned it in rather than
>following the install via smp/e (after all she worked from home cough
>cough cough).
>
>Nobody could figure out how to implement it (nobody wanted to touch
>it as it was installed haphazard. The product never got used and
>several thousand dollars went down the drain.

Was this before or after the sea change of 3 years ago?  In those happy
days gone by, she would have needed no more permissions to use SMP/E
than to perform the "shoehorn" installation.  I don't know her job
description.  Would she nowadays be granted the extraordinary privileges
required to use SMP/E?  Was she applications or systems?

-- gil