On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:50:30 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>And I wonder further, if I have autoconversion enabled, and I'm
>processing an ASCII (tagged) file with "sed" or "awk" and my
>purportedly portable script has "\nnn" octal escape sequences
>to match nondisplayable code points, will those match ASCII
>code points or EBCDIC code points?
>
>I'm pessimistic.

ISPF has pleasantly surprised me.  When I OEDIT a file tagged
ASCII and set HEX ON, I see ASCII code points.  When I do
FIND X'...', it finds the string according to the ASCII code points.

I had feared it would perform the translation between the file
and the edit buffer.  The doc makes it clear that the translation
is performed between ISPF and the 3270, but such things
always bear testing.

-- gil